Immigration Exam

Are you completing the process to become a permanent resident and need a doctor who can perform an immigration examination? Only doctors who have been certified by the United States government as civil surgeons can perform these exams. Mina Sehhat, M.D., your San Jose, CA, pediatrician and civil surgeon, explains the immigration examination process.

What does the immigration exam cover?

Physical examinations are intended to ensure that you don't have certain serious communicable medical conditions, such as small pox, yellow fever, cholera or diphtheria. Doctors also check for evidence of other physical or medical disorders or drug addiction. When the civil surgeon conducts your examination, she will check your:

  • Heart
  • Lungs
  • Abdomen
  • Lymph nodes
  • Nose
  • Throat
  • Eyes
  • Ears
  • Arms
  • Legs
  • Skin
  • External genitals

A chest X-ray and blood test may also be required, although children younger than 15 generally aren't required to have these tests. Blood tests check for several communicable diseases, including gonorrhea, tuberculosis, Hansen's disease and syphilis.

What vaccinations are needed?

In order to satisfy immigration requirements, you'll need to prove that you have been vaccinated against a variety of diseases, including:

  • Varicella
  • Influenza
  • Mumps
  • Measles
  • Rubella
  • Meningococcal disease
  • Rotavirus
  • Hepatitis A and B
  • Pertussis
  • Polio
  • Tetanus

What should I bring to the appointment?

You'll be required to bring Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination, with you. Before the examination, you must complete Part 1 of the form. After the exam is completed, the civil surgeon will fill in the other sections of the report. After completing the report, she will sign and seal it, and send it to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Will the civil surgeon perform a complete physical examination during the appointment?

The immigration examination is only intended to detect the presence of communicable diseases and other medical conditions relevant to U.S. immigration law. If you are concerned about an unrelated health issue, you can make an appointment to visit the doctor again at a later time.

Remember, civil surgeons are the only doctors who can perform immigration exams. Call Mina Sehhat, M.D., your San Jose, CA, pediatrician and civil surgeon, at (408) 975-7680 to schedule an appointment for an exam.

If your leaving the country it's important you get an Immigration Exam

Call our San Jose, CA office at (408) 975-7680 today!

Quick links

Contact Us